Life Hacks for Designers
Let's face it - we are always trying to find ways of how to better manage our time or even find a short-cut to get to the end result faster. Here are 5 hacks I've learned that have applied to elements of my design work.
1. Design a workspace to achieve your goals. Focus and get down to the task at hand easily by establishing a defined workspace. A quiet, relaxed and comfortable office space at your home or at your headquarters is important for both maintaining efficiency and motivating collaborative work sessions with others. Stay organized and de-clutter often to maintain ultimate productivity.
2. Start a Bullet Journal to master your upcoming tasks and priorities. It is vital to always be timely, reliable and on top of your to-do’s especially in a time when so many people are always on the go. Bullet Journaling is known as the analog system for our digital age. Customize your system using a dot-grid style notebook to create and manage your sketches, doodles, to-do list, calendar and quick notes.
3. Be inquisitive and honest. Not sure if a font you see is already credited or taken? See an image that you’re not sure if you should use? Bookmark websites like What the Font and Google Images where you can take a screenshot of your asset and then drag it over into the respective toolbars/platforms. Scan the results before making your next move.
4. Unleash your inner student. Do you have some extra time between projects? Sharpen your design skills (or start learning a completely new skill!) by taking an online course. Platforms like Udemy, Coursera, and Skillshare provide great courses and resources you can use to learn anything you want on your own time.
5. Know less is always more. If it’s true for your makeup, it’s going to still be true for your design work – “less is more.” Let the elements in your design breathe, try to avoid overcrowding parts of or the entire artboard. Use simple backgrounds and typography to keep your foundation simple. Minimalist designs are trending – stay inside those lines.